Sewing/ beading / knitting was what we used to do when the group met in the begining. That was some 11 years ago when the children were starting school.
We continue to met throughout the year, perhaps not as frequently as we would like due to other committments like part time work.
What hasn't changed amongst the group is the friendship, support , a good chat and endless cups of tea and coffee. There is always room for a slice of cake.
This week's morning tea was special in that many of the daughters attended their graduation ball in the previous week. Some were partnered by our sons. Stories and photographs aplenty.
Walnut, Apricot and Fig Torte (Gluten-free)
Spoted the recipe in a newspaper. The article says it is a famous torte from Sweethearts Cafe in Melbourne. I am told the cafe serves fantastic breakfasts. A question was posed to me Was this cafe an inspiration for Cold Chiesel's song Breakfast At Sweethearts?
9 egg whites
2 1/2 cups castor sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped dried apricots
1 cup chopped dried figs
1 1/2 tabspns cornflour
1 teaspn vanilla extract
- grease and line 24 or 25 cm springform tin
- beat egg whites until stiff
- while beating gradually add sugar. Continue to beat 'til it is smooth and sugar has dissolved
- combine walnuts, apricots, and cornflour in a bowl
- fold nut mixture through meringue mixture
-fold through vanilla
- pour into tin and bake 90 minutes at 150C til golden brown and firm to touch then reduce temperature to 120C and bake for a futher 1 hour
- turn off oven and allow cake to cool in the oven
- serve with lots of fresh cream